Be Healthy! Be Happy! Food Safety – Keep it Clean
Keep it clean! Bacteria and other unhealthy germs can spread throughout the kitchen and get onto hands, cutting boards, utensils, counter tops and food if you don’t follow these simple rules:
- Wash your hands with warm water and soap for at least 20 seconds before and after handling food and after using the bathroom, changing diapers and handling pets. What’s 20 seconds? Singing “Happy Birthday to You” twice = 20 seconds!
- Wash cutting boards, dishes, utensils, and counter tops with hot soapy water after preparing each food item and before you go on to the next food.
- Use paper towels to clean up kitchen surfaces. If you use cloth towels, wash them often in the hot cycle of your washing machine.
- Rinse fresh fruits and vegetables under running tap water, including those with skins and rinds that are not eaten.
- Rub firm-skin fruits and vegetables under running tap water or scrub with a clean vegetable brush while rinsing with running tap water.
- Sanitize food preparation surfaces with a commercial disinfecting solution often.
Fight Bac! Partnership for Food Safety Education, 2017. Online [available at]: http://www.fightbac.org/food-safety-basics/the-core-four-practices/